Don't go left, don't go right, stay straight (on the path).

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow and the book Beastly by Alex Flinn

Down here in the south we got more snow then I have ever seen in my life! I have never been anywhere north of... well never been up north during the winter, so I'm sure this 10" of snow is nothing to northerners!
So I finish reading the book Beastly by Alex Flinn this cold snow in winter day.
There are the covers one with movie tie in and one without.  I read the one with the rose.  personally I like the rose cover best.
So you can guess from the title this book is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
I love the tale of Beauty and the Beast, I have since I was little before Disney come up with their movie.   I have a book from when i was somewhere between 6-8 years old.  In this book this is picture a long with the fairy tale and beast look like a pig that can walk on his two hing feet.  Anyway I still have it.
So in Alex Flinn's retelling, the story take place in New York and in today's time.  Kyle Kingsbury is the hottest guy in his ninth grade class and he knows it too.  BTW Flinn picks a good name for the handsome but cruel boy.
Kyle decide to play and trick on of the Uglies in his grade, by asking her to the dance, when he has already asks sexy Sloane as his date.  When at the dance the other "ugly" girl find out she tell him he has left her with no chose and with that he turn into the beast hours later.   Will the beast find true love and break the curse or will he live as the beast forever?

Alex Flinn didn't disappoint me, she twisted the story to blend fairy tale and real life.  Explaining parts of the classic tale that never made sense, like why is the beast a long in the first place, why really why would a father trade his daughter for his own freedom.
BTW just from the preview I've seen for the movie, parts are going to be different from the book.

I highly recommend this book for any Beauty and the Beast fan!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment